While you may not realize it, a new mattress is a very important purchase that deserves some thought. Before you pull the trigger on a memory foam or innerspring mattress, you’ll want to think about the qualities you want in a mattress. After all, you spend a third of your life asleep, so your new mattress should provide you with the perfect amount of support and comfort for a good night’s sleep.
At The Mattress Center of Boone, we’re proud to be a leading provider of mattresses in North Carolina, and we offer a wide and impressive selection of mattresses from which to choose. Due to our low overhead costs, we are fortunate enough to offset the cost to our customers, saving them anywhere between 60 to 80 percent off regular retail store pricing. In addition to our mattress selection, we also carry bed frames, box springs, and adjustable foundations. In this blog, we’re going to offer up some tips for buying a new mattress, so you can make an educated decision when it comes time to pull out your wallet.
Tips For Buying A New Mattress
The first thing to think about before buying a new mattress is your budget. If you’re looking for a mattress for your son’s first few years in college, you may not want to spend an arm and a leg on a new mattress. On the contrary, if you’re looking for a new mattress for yourself that you hope to last for years, your budget should be a bit higher, as superior-quality mattresses tend to have a higher price point. Once you have your budget set, it’s time to start shopping!
Determine What Size Mattress You Want
While you don’t necessarily need to buy the same size mattress you have in your bedroom, you may want to consider upgrading to a larger mattress. If you have kids at home, a king-size mattress will allow the whole family to pile in your bed for movie nights and storytime. If the kids have moved out of the house, you may want to downgrade to a queen size mattress for just you and your sweetheart.
Here are some standard mattress dimensions to keep in mind as you start shopping for a new mattress:
- A king size bed is 76 x 80 inches
- A California king bed is 72 x 84 inches
- A queen bed is 60 x 80 inches
- A full XL bed is 53 x 80 inches
- A full bed is 53 x 75 inches
- A twin XL bed is 38 x 80 inches
- A twin bed is 38 x 75 inches
Know Your Mattress Options
At The Mattress Clearance Center of Boone, we understand how intimidating it can be to shop for a new mattress. With the large selection of mattress fabrics and fillings out there, it can feel overwhelming trying to decipher which mattress will be the best for you. The three mattress types to keep in mind are innerspring, memory foam, and hybrids. Let’s take a look at some popular mattress options below.
- Innerspring Mattress – innerspring mattresses have a steel coil support system to keep them firm. The innerspring is covered by padding or other materials, including different forms of foam and fiber. These mattresses provide excellent support, and you can find them in a range of firmness options.
- Memory Foam Mattress – memory foam mattresses are often more expensive than traditional innerspring mattresses, but they are well worth the price. These mattresses utilize a high-density polyurethane foam to support the body. One of the biggest benefits of a memory foam mattress is that it will contour to the shape of your body perfectly.
- Latex Foam Mattress – Similar to memory foam mattresses, a latex foam mattress has a bit more bounce to it. Since latex foam is natural and synthetic, this type of mattress is ideal for people who don’t like the hot feeling of normal memory foam.
- Hybrid Mattress – most hybrid mattresses have a spring system that is covered by a foam overlay. These mattresses are available in memory foam or latex foam, and they provide wonderful support to sleepers.
How Do I Know When To Buy A New Mattress?
This is a question we get a lot at The Mattress Center of Boone. There are many telltale signs that it may be time to buy a new mattress, including:
Your Mattress Is More Than Seven Years Old
If your current mattress is seven years old or older, it may be time to get a new one. Since we use our mattress each night, it can deteriorate over time, which can result in grooves or lumps on your mattress.
You Wake Up In Pain
If you wake up in pain, consider getting a new mattress. There are a variety of mattresses out there that can provide you with better support and comfort than your current mattress — it just takes a little searching to find the perfect one!
You’re Ready For An Upgrade
Upgrading your mattress with a newer model is a great way to treat yourself. When you invest in a quality mattress, your sleep will improve, along with your mood. If you’re ready to upgrade your mattress, contact The Mattress Center of Boone today. We offer a wonderful selection of quality mattresses, including memory foam mattresses, plush top mattresses, and pillow top mattresses from some of the best brands on the market.